Saturday, February 19, 2011

Easy does it

... And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.  Micah 6:8

I was fifty something when God stopped dropping hints that I failed to pick up on.  I felt like a wall of bricks toppled over on me.  The Lord announced his presence in unmistakable ways.  He had only two mandates:  I was to serve the community in some way and begin regularly attending church.

I wasn’t a stranger to Christianity, having regularly attended a Baptist church as a youth.  As an adult, for decades I only stopped in now and then at varying churches.  I believed that more likely than not there was a God.  But I had no clue as how that impacted my life or anything else.

So… I had lots of questions.  I now knew there was a God, but wasn’t at all sure about Jesus.  This made me uncomfortable because I had begun attending a Christian church.  My big questions were:  What does God want of me and how does Jesus fit into the picture?


I told the pastor all of this and asked what I was supposed to do.  She pulled out a Bible and showed me Micah 6:8.  I read it and was relieved.  I said, “I can do that.”

The pastor then suggested I start reading the Gospels.  I responded, “I can do that too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment