Saturday, July 30, 2011

Let Go, Let God – revisited


(photo courtesy of City Dance Theatre: "Let Go, Let God" at DanceAmerica competition; find more here.)

I’ve noticed a few things since last writing about “Let Go, Let God” a few weeks ago.  First, having accidentally discovered some understanding of the meaning of the concept, I’ve made some conscious attempts to apply it.  One tangible result: I fret a whole lot less just doing what I can [or must] and leaving the worldly outcome to itself.  It IS a relief, a definite easing of the burden(s) I used to feel.  Secondly, well here again is what I was subsequently told was the applicable scripture:

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.   Matthew 11:28-30.

This didn’t quite make sense to me intellectually; I’ve long thanked Christ, and still do, for carrying my yoke.  It is, and has been, of immense help.  However; I have now also tried to take the yoke Jesus offered and learn from him.  It’s… interesting.  The burden IS light.   At the same time I find myself “inadvertently” involved in a learning process.  Kind of a ‘what would Jesus do’ type of thing.  Usually after the fact, and I can’t say that I’m measuring up to his standards.  But, and here’s the main point, it’s another part of the Christian growth process – one of those ‘Oh, so that’s what that means.  Better try harder, try to do what I should, and try to tap into what the Spirit is nudging me about.”


No comments:

Post a Comment