Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"Let go, let God" aka Another piece of the jigsaw puzzle

Let go, let God.  Sounds easy enough.  In actuality it’s very difficult.  The way we’ve been taught, the American way, involves controlling situations and events to maximize advantage.  For most important or troublesome matters there are dozens of things to consider, and a virtually infinite amount that could be done,

Take a common scenario – financial difficulties.  We might consider changing careers or employers, appeasing and/or negotiating with the landlord and creditors, cutting expenses, etc.  Just consider the job situation; here are some of the things that could be done:

1.      update the resume
2.      do a cover letter
3.      customize the resume and cover letter for different positions
4.      contact and verify references
5.      send out and post resumes
6.      create or update profiles on Facebook, LinkedIn and other sites
7.      upgrade the cellphone for accessing email and the web
8.      upgrade the computer for Skype and video conference capacity
9.      network
10.  clean up and/or update the wardrobe for interviews and conferences
11.  look for more places to send out and post resume
12.  do more networking and maintain regular contact
13.  write and post blogs and articles for a showing of expertise
14.  on and on and on

Moreover, one can’t help but consider and plan timing, scenarios, locations and mood enhancers for all of the above.  Next - evaluate one’s approach and all factors after each call, meeting and response (or lack thereof) and then modify/fine tune as necessary.

Whew.  There’s so much that could be done.  And isn’t it funny how one best handles one thing seems to depend upon what happens with this, that and the other thing?



I was beginning to drive myself crazy with one of those common troublesome scenarios we all end up dealing with sooner or later.  I didn’t consciously think about letting go, letting God.   I just did it.  I had to.  I couldn’t handle it on my own.  I prayed - a lot – and just quit worrying and trying to do this and that and every little thing.

Let go, let God.  I think I know what it means now.  I know one effect is somewhat like taking a mini vacation and merely delighting in what each day brings.  And He provided a way when there was no way.  Amazing.

Here’s one of the scripture passages attributed as the source of the phrase “Let go, let God”:
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.   Matthew 11:28-30.

As to our part in the “let go, let God” approach - part of the trick may be to simply do what one must.  The “musts” can be few.  Somehow, we know what they are.  Do what can be done and don’t worry.  Yeah, that important call may be better made at a time other than at 4:55 pm on the Friday of an upcoming three day holiday weekend.  But make the call.  Don’t wait until you’ve lost that twenty pounds, have a new hair style and it’s a worry free sunny morning with the moon in Venus.

Go with what you have.  Don’t wait until everything has been perfectly coordinated.  Don’t try and rework your entire life before making a single call.  Don’t worry about the liklihood of success.  Don’t try to pretend your blueberry muffin is a vanilla cupcake with strawberry frosting.  God put you where you are; do your part.  Do what you must.  Let God take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment