Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Flabbergasted

One can find artistic and talented Christians everywhere.  Many are superb at what do, and don’t beat one over the head being more righteous than thou.  Some can tell an engaging story, a few are downright funny.   

My favorite book title is Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal.  Matthew, Mark and company didn’t disclose much as to most of Jesus’ life; Biff filled the gap.  I’m now halfway through another book where the title caught my attention.  It also touches upon the topic of Christianity.  The name is Flabbergasted, by Ray Blackston.  I was delighted to find a laugh out loud gem.


One character in Flabbergasted is a Baptist pastor that surf fishes for sharks and pets them on the head before sending them back to sea.  The main character, Jay, a stockbroker in his late twenties, relocates to South Carolina and begins attending church to meet women.  He also joins a men’s group where he’s able to find Proverbs (east of Psalms, west of Galatians) and questions such as “any impure thoughts this week?” [with all nine in attendance raising their hands].  Many of the ladies rotate their Sunday worship, engaging in “denominational hopscotch,” and email church ratings based upon the quality of guys.  The woman of Jay's dreams, met at a Presbyterian church, turns out to be a missionary in the jungles of Ecuador.

In my late twenties (and as a 30 and 40 something) the last place I would have went to meet women was a church.  Much of my non-working time was spent in smoky, seedy bars; places where everything and anything was for sale.  My taste in nonfiction wasn’t much different, but I’ve always had a weak spot for humor [a further clue as to my taste:  One of my favorite authors is Mark Twain (surely you know he wrote more than Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn)].  It took me a few decades to realize Christians also have a sense of humor, who would have thunk?

You can see blurbs about the books that Ray Blackston has written, along with some of his insight and activities here.  I will be picking up more of his books and grinning as I read them.  You may wish to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment