Wednesday, June 15, 2011

First take the plank out of your own eye

There are portions and passages of the Bible that immediately speak to me.  At other times, the meaning and impact comes much later.

An incident came up recently.  I moaned and groaned to myself and others about how, when and if a particular chore was done.  The details aren’t important because there have been way, Way, WAY too many similar situations.  A vague recollection of a verse came to mind; I looked for it and found:

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay not attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. (emphasis added) Matthew 7:3-5

It finally dawned upon me that I’ve always been real, real good at seeing a speck of sawdust in another’s eye.  I’ve been equally proficient at ignoring the lumberyard in my own eyes.  Insight can be humbling.


No comments:

Post a Comment