Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Overcoming and muddling on

…“Everything is possible for him who believes.”  … Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.”   Mark 9:23-24.

Belief, faith and trust in God are weighty concepts.  Recognition of God’s presence and power is not enough.  Worship is not enough, nor is good works.  The Bible is filled with people who believed in, worshipped and followed the Lord; many did it in troubling times in ways and manners far beyond what many of us now face and do.  Still, it wasn’t unusual for belief and faith to weaken… or simply not be strong enough.

I’ve felt and believe in the unmistakable presence of the Father, Son and Spirit.  Many prayers have been answered, some even granted before I recognized the need.  However; even with God having given me so much, even with Him having found ways when I saw none; even with knowing Jesus is at all times both inside me and walking next to me; even with the Spirit nudging and guiding me… even with all that I become anxious, worried and concerned about so many things.  I now know that I cannot handle things on my own, and have difficulty discerning my part in God’s plan.

I fear that my belief, my faith and my trust are too weak.  I fear that I neither know nor do what God expects.   And so… in my prayers to Jesus I often add, “I believe; help me in my unbelief.”  That gives me comfort, it helps me muddle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment